At Hitachi, we don’t get sidetracked building every kind of construction equipment. Instead, we build excavators and trucks. It’s that kind of focus combined with our legacy of innovative technology that results in highly efficient, reliable and durable machines. Our EPA Final Tier 4 (FT4)/EU Stage IV models are no exception.
“These FT4 models showcase integrated, effective engine technologies and productivity-boosting features,” said Mark Wall, product marketing manager for Hitachi. “With these excavators, customers get the quiet, powerful performance that Hitachi is known for with the added bonus of cleaner operations.”
So what’s new with the FT4 models? Wall and Alex Anhalt, instructional product specialist for Hitachi, share the inside scoop on what you should know.
New engine solution technology
Front and center are new, fuel-efficient FT4 Isuzu engines that meet rigid emission standards. Hitachi’s FT4 engine technology is simple and efficient, employing cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and selective catalytic reduction (SCR).
Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), a mixture of high-purity urea and deionized water, is a reactant needed for SCR. DEF is injected into the exhaust stream of the engine, runs through a catalyst, and turns the NOX in the exhaust into harmless water vapor and nitrogen gas. The EGR is specifically tuned to further reduce NOX (compared to EPA Interim Tier 4 (IT4)/EU Stage IIIB engines) to meet new emission standards with minimal use of DEF.
Extremely efficient combustion and an improved piston design allow the Isuzu engines to burn particulate matter in cylinder. This eliminates the need for a diesel particulate filter (DPF).
Cold weather features
With FT4 models, cold weather doesn’t stand in the way of productivity. The fuel recirculation system eliminates fuel from gelling in the main filter by circulating warm return fuel back to the main fuel filter rather than the fuel tank.
Although DEF begins to freeze at –11 degrees Celsius (12 degrees Fahrenheit), Hitachi has you covered. The DEF lines are encapsulated by lines filled with engine coolant, which defrosts the DEF. And don’t worry about engine regenerations in cold temperatures – no DPF means no regenerations are needed.
FT4 excavator maintenance is simplified with features such as grouped filters near the hydraulic tank and a large hood that is easily opened for engine access. An additional hood over the top of the aftertreatment system gives you even more accessibility. Hitachi FT4 machines also feature a conveniently located DEF fill as well as a gauge that indicates fill levels and alerts you when levels are low.
- Certified EPA Final Tier 4 (FT4)/EU Stage IV Isuzu engine
- Grade reference ready option – Topcon, Trimble or Leica
- Programmable attachment modes, including thumb
- Equal or reduced fluid consumption (fuel and diesel exhaust fluid [DEF]) for ZX250LC-6, ZX350LC-6 and ZX380LC-6
- Larger hood for improved engine access
- Additional hood over aftertreatment system
- Single-side ground-level filter service
- Battery disconnect switch
- Fuel recirculation system to prevent fuel gelling in cold climates
- Pressurized fuel system for improved fuel injector operation
- ZXLinkTM remote monitoring system
- FT4 engine solution without the need for a diesel particulate filter (DPF)
- Standard upperstructure handrails
- Double-seal swing bearing
- Reinforced resin thrust plates
- Extended grease- and oil-change intervals