Don’t bust your tail.
Small and compact, the ZX35U-5 gives you big-time performance on all kinds of jobs. By talking and listening to owners like you, we’ve taken the excavator to a whole new level by adding real-world practical improvements.
You get a more spacious cab with wider, easier entry and better visibility; a fuel-efficient and reliable engine that meets emission standards; and maintenance that’s easier than ever thanks to enhancements such as improved access to coolers. Built to the same high standards as our larger mining excavators, the ZX35U-5 delivers efficiency, reliability and durability to your operation.
- The Yanmar diesel engine meets EPA Final Tier 4 (FT4)/EU Stage IV emission regulations. It’s easy to maintain and requires no special additional fluids – just ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel and CJ-4 engine oil.
- Match engine speed to the job with power/economy work modes. Choose the power mode and get higher engine speeds for most general digging work. For lighter digging jobs, the economy mode reduces engine speed and noise, and lowers fuel costs.
- Although not a replacement for a grading tractor, standard backfill blades let this excavator fill-in quite capably. An optional all-hydraulic blade angles 25 degrees, left or right, for even more efficient grading and backfilling
- The rubber tracks traverse virtually any terrain, including paved surfaces. Also available are steel tracks and steel tracks with rubber pads. The optional rubber grousers combine work-anywhere flexibility with steel-track serviceability.
- Heavy-duty X-frame provides a solid, stable platform that resists material and dirt buildup.
- With plenty of lift height and reach, getting up and over truck sideboards is all in a day’s work.
- Standard quick-coupler equipped boom-mounted auxiliary hydraulic lines make attachment hook-up a snap. Wedge-style coupler enables quick changes and a wide variety of buckets and attachments, such as breakers and augers.
- Single-pin swing-post increases boom stiffness, enhancing the structural integrity of the digging components. Wear-resistant hoses are routed for protection and Cordura®-wrapped where exposed.
- Heavy-duty shields deflect material and impacts, protecting the boom/blade cylinders and drive motors.
- Go from backhoe- to excavator-style controls with just a twist of your wrist. Control-pattern selector valve is conveniently located in a compartment beneath the seat.
- Ergonomic short-throw pilot control levers provide smooth, predictable low-effort fingertip operation.
- Swing boom and foldable travel pedals are positioned where they’re easy to operate, yet allow plenty of foot room.
- No operator activation required for high-speed travel. Track speeds automatically slow to low whenever the travel motors encounter a heavier load. Includes a console-mounted, low-speed lock switch.
- Visibility that’s practically unlimited; precise feel; and smooth, accurate control makes the ZX35U-5 a great fit for excavating in and around existing utilities.
- Enhanced monitor provides vital operating info at a glance and fingertip control of several functions, including auto shutdown, power/economy modes, and auto exhaust filter cleaning. Plus two trip meters let you track engine oil and hydraulic oil changes, or jobsite hours.
- Automatic, high-velocity bi-level climate-control system with automotive-style adjustable louvers help keep the glass clear and the cab comfortable.
- Spacious operator station has a wide entryway, making entrance and exit easier than ever. Flat, skid-resistant floor mats remove easily for clean-out. There’s also a large cup holder and seat back compartment for documents.
- Noise-reducing muffler and isochronous high-idle speed help keep things noticeably quiet. Rubber cab mounts further isolate the operator from noise and vibration to help reduce fatigue.
- Vertical spin-on filters allow quick and clean changes. Extended engine and hydraulic oil intervals let you work longer.
- Hinged door provides easy access to the side-by-side oil cooler and radiator for easier core cleanout.
- Operator station tilts forward 50 degrees simplifying access to the swing motor, hydraulic control valve, engine starter motor, and alternator.
- Routine checks such as engine oil level are quickly accomplished from ground level. Convenient lube/maintenance chart helps ensure that nothing gets overlooked.
- Hydraulic fluid sight gauge and see-through coolant reservoir let you quickly check levels at a glance.
15 ft 3 in ft/in
8 ft 2 in ft/in
5 ft 9 in ft/in
5 ft 5 in ft/in
6 ft 11 in ft/in
2 ft 10 in ft/in
5 ft 9 in ft/in
4 ft 8 in ft/in
17 ft 1 in ft/in
16 ft ft/in
11 ft 4 in ft/in
10 ft ft/in
11.1 gallons (US)
8.5 gallons (US)
Two-year/2,000-hour full-machine standard warranty
Every Hitachi machine comes with a level of comfort through our full machine standard warranty. It promises we’ll fix any defects in materials or worksmanship on our compact equipment for two years after delivery or 2,000 hours.*